Friday, April 3, 2009

This cake was made for my son Mason 3rd birthday. I decided to experiment with it. All my products I put my all into them, but let me tell you this cake was a job all on it's own, I should of been paid for this effort :) The cake was due April 1st...seriously, Mason was born April 1st. Production started on March 31st, trust me it was a production. Cake layers were baked and cooling, then I started on the Citrus Curd, I was unable to move from the stove, I had to stand there and stir, and stir and stir and stir did I say STIR? the curd finally thickened, finallyyyy.
Pour it into a glass bowl, with saran wrap on the surface to prevent a skin from forming, stuck it into the fridge to cool and firm up. Now to the Cream, took some blackberries I had in the freezer, boiled it on the stove till I got the reduction I wanted. Once that was done, I passed it through a sieve to get rid of the seeds. That was set aside to cool, in the meantime I started to whip the whipping cream. The texture I wanted was achieved and I took the balckberry reduction and folded it into the whipped cream.
Classic vanilla buttrecream was made, the time has come to put the cake together.

To the assembly line we go, lol...took the first cake layer and spread the curd on it, put it in the freezer to set, once that was achieved, I then spread the Blackberry Cream on top of the curd, took the next cake layer and set it on top, finished the cake with the buttercream, Mason said he wanted dots on the cake, so dots he got.
The day of his birthday cake was cut and let me tell you it was delicious, fabulous,
cake was nice and moist, and the combination of curd and cream was a hit...yea yea yea yea. But hear this, after all that time, effort and work, Mason did not even want any cake, all he was interested in was blowing out his candle. Three days later he had a tiny bite of his cake, yes it was still tasty and moist..

April 19 is my Birthday...I wonder who will be making my cake? hummmmmmmm

No comments: